The Lewis Carroll connection

The real name of Lewis Carroll, the famous children's author, was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. He created his pen-name at the request of a magazine editor, by switching his two Christian names (Lutwidge Charles, latinised to Ludovicus Carolus, then modified to Lewis Carroll).  Lutwidge was the maiden name of his mother, Frances. Charles was the eldest child of Archdeacon Charles Dodgson. Their fourth child (and second son) was Skeffington Hume Dodgson. An account of the Lutwidge descent from the 17th-century Skeffington family can be found at  http://william.skyvington.free.fr/carroll/carroll_genealogy.pdf. Skeffington became vicar of Vowchurch in 1895, where he remained till 1910 when he retired to Ewyas Harold. He died in Hereford hospital in 1919. He is buried, along with his wife Isabel Mary (d.1937), at Vowchurch, near the path from the gate to the church door.

The Dodgson's appear to have been a close-knit family, although it is thought that Lewis Carroll never visited Vowchurch. The Lewis Carroll Society has sponsored the creation of a display cabinet with pictures and documents related to Skeffington Hume Dodgson and his family. More information can be found in publications on sale in the church, "Skeffington Hume Dodgson, a brief biographical account," by Edward Wakeling; and "Letters to Skeffington Dodgson from his father," edited and introduced by Anne Clark Amor. Use the "contact us" button for further information, or to order a copy of the above booklets.

Page back